Friday, January 27, 2012

Difficult Language

I have come to the conclusion that next to Adam and Eve's original sin, the worst thing to ever happen in history is the Tower of Babel. Why in the world do we have to speak different languages?!
There are several Americans visiting this week for Allen's wedding on Monday. One of them told me today that he read that Tamil is one of the most difficult languages in the world to learn. O great. I would pick the one state in India that speaks Tamil.
I've made some progress with the language. My friend Santhi in the school office told me I've learned much more than any other American who's helped at the school. So that's encouraging. But I still really only know a few basics. I can by no means carry on a conversation. I tried to learn a new Tamil song today and found myself constantly tongue-tied.
Just as a fun fact: Tamil consists of over 200 written characters. I can't even speak it, much less write it!
Anyway, as frustrating as it can be (I have so many times when I'm like, "I really wish I could talk to you!"), it has been an area where I've really had to rely on the Lord. I'm having to be extra creative and intentional with my actions. In the long run its probably making me an even better communicator because I have to think so hard about what I'm saying, even in English because of accents and word usage.
Oh, the best part though is sometimes people who know I can't speak Tamil talk to me like I'm deaf. They just make motions to me and move their mouths. That always makes me laugh. So there's always an entertaining side to every frustrating situation. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment