Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Children's Home Adventure

I just got back from spending a couple of days at the children's home. It was probably the most adventurous experience I've had since I've been here. I feel the need to just share a few scenes that occurred:
*I'm wearing an Indian dress, sitting in the dirt, flies swarming my feet, and I'm painting little girls' toenails.
*I open the bedroom door to see a mouse scurry across the floor. I think I've mentioned before that I have no fear as long as its a rodent and not a giant arachnid. So that's a plus.
*The next night there's a massive roach on the bathroom wall. The bathroom, by the way, consists of a squatty-potty, a faucet, and a bucket.
*The same night I walk in the room and have the thought, "I hope that mouse wouldn't get in my unzipped suitcase." Well, I'm prophetic. I opened it and calmly said, "Oh, yep, there he is..." as he hurriedly ran away.
*I couldn't brush my teeth after that because the mouse pooped on my toothbrush that was inside my suitcase.
*I go out to eat with the family who oversee the children's home. They're hands down my favorite family that I've met. Love them! On the way home we stop at a supermarket. The daughter is looking at perfume, which I comment on. This causes them to insist I pick one out for them to buy me. I don't really even wear perfume much, but I guess I'll start.

Sometimes I think, "Is the real life? Is this actually happening right now?" Sometimes I laugh hysterically. Sometimes I'm annoyed. Sometimes I hate it. Sometimes I love it. Sometimes I think, "What is this doing for God's Kingdom?" All the time I can't help but believe that God really does have a reason for it all. That's often the only thing that pushes me forward. Hope is a great thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment