Thursday, February 9, 2012

Blue Devils, Dr. Suess, and A Baby

Sometimes I get sad over silly little things that I'm "giving up" by being here. Apparently I missed a historical basketball game between Duke and UNC yesterday. Duke came out on top by a buzzard beater, so at least I have that to be happy about. Go Blue Devils. :)
Or I noticed that they made a movie about Dr. Suess' "The Lorax" which comes out in March. That's hands down my favorite Dr. Suess story.
And then there's things that actually are important, like my sister having a baby! That really is an epic event to miss. Its one thing to not see a basketball game that I probably wouldn't even think about the next day, but to miss seeing my nephew, that's a different story.
Is this worth it? Not getting to see Tristan until he's 3 months old has caused me to really think about that question. And I've come to a conclusion...
The past couple of days in school I've been sharing the gospel in classrooms. I cut out construction paper in different shapes to represent salvation. Kind of a version of the color method where you use colored beads on a bracelet. Anyway, its been really exciting. A few of the kids are Hindu, the majority are Christian, but even then I don't know that they have all actually heard the gospel. You know, sometimes people just assume that because a kid's family is Christian that they understand what Jesus did and are walking with Him.
I don't know if any will start following Jesus because of me showing them that a black heart can turn into a white heart because of Jesus. But I sincerely do believe that I'm in India because God sent me here. And He wants to draw children and adults alike to Himself. I pray He's doing that while I'm here.
So because I'm walking in obedience to my God and because I'm having the chance to share a message with Indians that can change their lives for eternity, its a crazy thing to actually say, but I'll give up anything to do it. Of course I'll give up a movie about Tuffula Trees and Thneads, but I'm serious enough about following Jesus that I'll give up not seeing Tristan. (But man am I going to make up for it when I get home. He's gonna be sick of me probably. haha).
Luke 14:25-27, "Large crowds were traveling with Jesus, and turning to them he said: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple. And whoever does not carry their cross and follow me cannot be my disciple." There's a cost to follow Him. And yes, this is worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment